The writer
structures this extract and varies the tension by using different length
sentences, such as “so!” and “pity”! Using these varied sentences creates a
scene that makes you want to read more. In the opening paragraph it says “hope
that this endless hanging would soon be over” the word endless is a bit
exaggerated but it shows how the person if feeling which is really tired, telling the reader how the person is feeling makes
them more interested in finding out more about that character.
When the writer
sets the atmosphere it says in text “the rope sawed through the cliff edge,
dislodging chunks of crusty ice. I have used this as an example because it is one i can elaborate more on , such as the words he uses in the sentence,
dislodging which means moved out of its position. Instead of just saying a
piece of ice fell to the ground, he uses dislodges which sounds so much better.
As well as using good adjectives he also includes alliteration Chunks of crusty
ice.
He creates
tension by asking rhetorical questions, using these makes the story very tense as they are not being answered. The writer himself uses very powerful
verbs, like “I could feel the rope tremble again” and he uses adverbs like “I
lolled on the rope” the two sentences I have just used have so much more expression than just “ I felt the rope move again” or “ I hung on to the rope”.
In the last
paragraph it gives you the impression that he thinks he’s going to die anyway, because he says “what I had waited for finally pounced on me”. When he describes
the stars going on and off, in my opinion it’s like in the story he’s showing
that he’s tired of waiting for something to happen, so when the stars are supposed
to be going on and off, I think it’s his eyes opening and closing. This extract ends in a way you don’t it to, but that’s the effect the writer is using so you
will want to find out what really happens in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment